Joshua and Jericho
Today children learn that God expects people to obey Him. When the Israelites were ready to conquer Jericho, God gave specific instructions. Joshua and the people followed God’s plan and won!
Remind your child how Joshua and the people followed God’s direction for conquering Jericho. Help your child search the Bible to find instructions God has provided for us to follow to show our obedience to Him.
Use these simple steps to guide your family during today’s Life Group time.
Step 1: Print Activity Pages
Print one for each child. This is a great tool to have as you go through the videos. Each download includes the Activity Page for your child and a One Conversation page for you to use with the Bible reference and story.
Step 2: Watch Bible Story Video
Before you press play, sit together and pray. Thank God for this special day to worship and learn about Him. Then, watch the Bible story video together.
3. Read & Discuss The Bible Story Together
Use the Activity Page and One Conversation Page you printed to read and discuss the Bible Story together. Select an activity and talk about how it goes along with the story.
One’s & Two’s
Sing In Trumpet Tubes
Gather: Cardboard tube, stickers, markers.
- Print, “God Helps Me” on your child’s tube and talk with your child about how God helps your family.
- Suggest your child decorate the tube with stickers or markers.
- Mention that the priests or church helpers played trumpets and God made the walls fall down.
- Lead your child to say into the trumpet tube: “God helps me!”
- Guide your child to sing these words to the tune of “God Is So Good:” Yes, God helps me. Yes, God helps me. Yes, God helps me. He’s so good to me.
Three’s – PreK
Build A Wall Snack
Gather: Kids Activity Page, Bible, graham crackers, frosting, paper plates, napkins, craft sticks.
- Go over Kids Activity Page with your child.
- Give your child at least four graham crackers squares and frosting. Guide him/her to spread the frosting on the edge of the crackers and build a structure.
- Mention that the city of Jericho had tall walls all around it. Remind your child that God told Joshua what to do so the walls would fall.
- Go over weekly verse (Deut. 30:20, “Love God and always do what He says”) in the Bible and comment that Joshua loved God and did what He said. Say that God tells us to do what He says.
Build A Walled City
Gather: Kids Activity Page, wooden blocks, small boxes, cardboard pieces (or any material your child could use to build a wall).
- Go over Kids Activity Page with your child. Be sure to point out picture of Joshua and the people next to the tall wall.
- Talk about the Bible story as your child begins to build a walled city. Say that God gave instructions to Joshua for what the people were to do. Comment that when the people shouted, God caused the walls to fall down.
- Invite your child to work to build a large, walled city using the blocks and materials you have gathered. Remind him/her that the people listened to God when He told them to obey Him. Lead your child to repeal Deuteronomy 30:20 with you, “Love God and always do what He says.”
Water Ballon Books of the Bible
- You will to have water balloons filled and ready.
- Go outside and have family members pair off and stand about 6 feet apart.
- Toss balloon back and forth saying each book of the Bible in order.
- When a balloon breaks, start over with Genesis.
- See which team can say the most books of the Bible without breaking a balloon.
7 Hidden Instructions
- Write 7 different instructions on pieces of paper. (i.e. make chicken noises, jog in place for 10 steps, walk backward until you find the next note, etc)
- Hide the notes in a room.
- Have your child find the notes and follow the instructions on the notes.
- After a little time, ask your child to bring you the notes. Read them aloud & note that they make very little sense.
- Remind kids that in today’s story, following God’s instructions probably did not make sense. But by obeying God, the people were able to capture a whole city.
Knock it Down
- You will need 10 plastic cups and a tennis ball.
- Set up the cups like bowling pins.
- Have your child answer a review question.
- What was the name of city God gave the people of Israel?
- How was Jericho protected?
- What did the priests carry with them as they marched?
- What did the army do after they marched on the 7th day?
- Did God’s plan work?
- Was God’s plan the usual way an army would attack a city?
- If they answer correctly, they roll the tennis ball to knock down cups and get points for every cup they knock down.
4. Missions Emphasis
- Review the missions story about Luis and Betty Soto, missionaries living in Salt Lake City, Utah. Remind kids that Luis preaches and teaches in Spanish so that people can understand and choose to trust Jesus as Savior.
- Lead kids to match the “Utah Photo Captions” to the “Utah Photos.”
- Provide tape pieces for kids to attach the captions to the wall near the photos.
- Pray that many people would come to the church in Salt Lake City. Pray that they would hear the good news and trust in Jesus as their Savior.
- Thank God for his faithfulness and His love for all of us.
- Ask God to help us obey His commands.
- Thank God for his forgiveness when we do not obey Him.
- Thank God for sending Jesus to be our Savior.