Samuel in the Tabernacle
Today in KidLife Groups children learn that the church listens and learns from God. Samuel listened to God and learned what God was planning to do, just as we should listen and learn from God today.
Review the Bible story with your child. Make a list of ways people can listen to God today. Remind your child that God speaks through the Bible, through prayer, and through listening to Bible teaching.
Use these simple steps to guide your family during today’s Life Group time.
Step 1: Print Activity Pages
Print one for each child. This is a great tool to have as you go through the videos. Each download includes the Activity Page for your child and a One Conversation page for you to use with the Bible reference and story.
Preschool // Babies-Kinder
Step 2: Watch Bible Story Video
Before you press play, sit together and pray. Thank God for this special day to worship and learn about Him. Then, watch the Bible story video together.
3. Read & Discuss The Bible Story Together
Use the Activity Page and One Conversation Page you printed to read and discuss the Bible Story together. Select an activity and talk about how it goes along with the story.
One’s & Two’s
Sound Out The Verses
Gather: Weekly Verse from the Activity Page- Psalm 32:8, “I will teach you the way to go,” and Unit Verse- Psalm 95:6, “Come, let us worship God.”
- Say the Unit Verse and the Weekly Verse for your child.
- Request your toddler say it with you.
- Say it in different voices such as loud, whisper, daddy voice, baby voice, mommy voice, teacher voice, and so forth.
- Ask child to suggest ways to say the verse. Repeat as many times as he/she is interested.
- Say: “We are hearing and learning God’s words.”
Three’s – PreK
Gather: music, spray bottle of water, paper towels, trash bag, brooms or sweepers, other cleaning supplies.
- Invite your child to clean the table and other areas of the room.
- Talk about the Bible story. Say that Samuel helped Eli at the tabernacle.
- Recall that Eli helped Samuel know how to listen to God and learn about God. Say that people at our church help others learn about God.
- Talk about different ways people can help others. You can also discuss how your child helps at home and can help at church in the future.
- Play music as child cleans.
Gather: Kids Activity Page, Bible, construction paper, markers, crayons, pencils.
- Print and display signs that say “Thank You!”; “We Love You!”; “Jesus Loves You!”
- Read the signs to your child.
- Suggest that your child write the phrases and draw pictures on the paper.
- As your child works, talk about the Bible story. Discuss how Samuel learned about God at the tabernacle.
- Tell child that people in churches around the world learn about God and Jesus. Tell them that missionaries teach people in other places about God and Jesus from the Bible.
- Pray and thank God for sending missionaries to teach people.
- Discuss who you could give your signs to. Perhaps a missionary your family knows, a neighbor, a friend, or family member.
HERE I AM!
- Ask one of your children to stand near the middle of the room while the rest of your family spread out in the room. The child in the middle keeps his eyes open while all others close their eyes.
- Explain that the other children will quietly move to any place in the room. Urge other kids not to peek.
- The child says, “Here I am.” He continues to say, “Here I am” every few seconds. The rest of the family keep their eyes closed and walk carefully toward the voice until they reach the child who is speaking. When kids find the speaker, they freeze in place, open their eyes, and wait for others to reach the speaker.
- Play the game again with a new speaker as time allows.
- Explain to the kids that today they will learn about someone in the Bible who said the words, “Here I am.”
LEARN PSALM 95:6 AND PSALM 32:8
- Have your kids create a poster of Psalm 95:6. Encourage them to be creative when designing their posters.
- Guide them to repeat the verse doing actions that represent the words in the verse.
- Repeat the verse three times. Help kids locate Psalm 95:6 in their Bibles. Read the verse together.
- Find Psalm 32:8 and read it together. Explain that God is the One who teaches and shows His ways. Some Bibles have the word counsel. Explain it as guiding or advising. Point out that the words I and my in the verse refer to God. Lead your children to read the verse using God instead of I and my.
4. Missions Emphasis
- Show the missions video “This Is Poland,” or tell the missions story.
- Point to the “Airport Codes” on the walls. Invite kids to guess what the three-letter codes might mean. Explain that these are the airport codes for the sequence of airports required to travel from Oklahoma to Krakow, Poland. The missions team went from Oklahoma City to Dallas to London to Krakow.
- Pray that God will send other missions groups to Poland to tell the good news about salvation through Jesus.
Note that one way to focus attention on God is to pray. Encourage kids to pray silently as you lead them to thank God for being ruler of the whole universe. Pause. Invite kids to praise God for all He created. Pause. Suggest kids tell God how much they love Him. Pause. End with Amen.