The Kind Man / Jesus Answered the Ruler’s Question
Today in KidLife Groups children learn that people can choose to follow or not follow God. A rich, young ruler left with sadness after he asked Jesus a question about eternal life.
Review the story of the rich, young ruler. If your child is not yet a Christian, share with him the plan of salvation. (Admit you sin and need a Savior. Believe that Jesus died and rose from the grave to take the punishment for your sin. Confess, or tell, that you trust Jesus as your Savior and Lord.)
Use these simple steps to guide your family during today’s Life Group time.
Step 1: Print Activity Pages
Print one for each child. This is a great tool to have as you go through the videos. Each download includes the Activity Page for your child and a One Conversation page for you to use with the Bible reference and story.
Preschool // Babies-Kinder
The Kind Man
Step 2: Watch Bible Story Video
Before you press play, sit together and pray. Thank God for this special day to worship and learn about Him. Then, watch the Bible story video together.
3. Read & Discuss The Bible Story Together
Use the Activity Page and One Conversation Page you printed to read and discuss the Bible Story together. Select an activity and talk about how it goes along with the story.
One’s & Two’s
Care For Sick Babies
Gather: Baby dolls, toy baby-care items.
- Invite your child to help you care for the sick babies.
- Suggest that your child wrap the babies in blankets.
- Talk about the Bible story as your child is helping the babies.
- Say: “Jesus wants us to choose to be kind and help people.”
Three’s – PreK
Find The Objects
Gather: Kids Activity Page, plastic bin, pom-poms (or other filler), self-adhesive bandages, small pieces of gauze, cotton swabs, plastic tweezers.
- Fill a plastic bin with pom-poms. Hide bandages, gauze, and cotton swabs in the bin.
- Lead your child to play in the sensory bin, looking for hidden first aid items using plastic tweezers.
- Review the Bible story, highlighting how the Samaritan man helped the hurt man by bandaging his wounds and taking him to a nearby inn.
- Note that the kind man chose to help. Say that people can choose to help. Add that God allows people to make right and wrong choices. Choosing to help is the right choice.
Make A Book
Gather: Kids Activity Page, heavyweight paper, hole punch or stapler, markers, crayons, pencils.
- Fold or cut the paper in half, widthwise. Provide your child with at least two pieces of paper.
- Ask your child to write I Can Make Choices on the front of their books. Have child draw pictures and write words about choices they can make.
- Talk about the Bible story and the choice that the ruler made.
- When your child finishes, you can staple or bind their book pages together.
- Remind your child that one choice they can make is to love God.
- Inflate a balloon.
- Have family volley the balloon while saying the books of the Bible.
- If balloon touches the floor, the family should look up the last book they named in the Bible.
- Play a couple rounds and see how far your family can go!
Follow the Leader
- Get 5 Solo Cups and number 1-5
- List actions on a sheet of paper (walk & talk like robots, tip-toe around room quietly as possible, walk backwards counting to 10, act like you are paddling a boat, etc.)
- Place each action in a cup
- Choose a family member to pick a cup and lead your family doing that action.
- After all actions have been chosen, tell your family they chose to follow the leader just like today they will learn that someone had the choice to follow or not follow Jesus.
To Do or Not To Do
- We make choices every day and are responsible for those choices.
- Click here (insert To Do or Not To Do) to get cards.
- Have kids choose which choice on the card is right.
- Then as a family act out the right choice.
- Discuss what would happen if they chose the wrong choice.
Box of Choices
- Grab a box with a lid and assortment of unbreakable household items including some that are a little bigger than the box can hold.
- Ask your child/children how many items do they think will fit into the box.
- Have kids test out their guesses and see if their estimates were correct.
- Talk to your kids about how they had to carefully choose which items to place in the box, just like sometimes we have to carefully choose our decisions in life.
Memory Verse Review
- On some index cards print a few words of Psalm 119:34 and place index cards in a bag.
- Have your child find Psalm 119:34 and read it aloud.
- Have your child blindfolded, then have the rest of the family give the child directions as they need to put the index cards in order.
- Remind your child that following directions can sometimes be hard, but we should always follow God’s directions no matter how hard, because His choices for our life are good.
4. Missions Emphasis
- Show the video “Meet Daniel Byrd,” or review the missions story.
- Discuss how Daniel gave up a good job in America to move to Romania to serve the Roma people. Comment that one way kids can support missionaries like Daniel is by choosing to do without extra items and contributing instead to a missions offering.
- Challenge kids to arrange pieces of yarn in the shape of an item they could do without in order to support missions work.
- Invite kids to describe their creations.
- Ask God to help kids desire to put God’s kingdom first.
- Thank God for hearing our prayers and helping us make good choices.
- Thank God for sending Jesus to die on the cross to forgive us of our sins when we make bad choices.
- Ask God to help everyone make good choices this week.
- Ask God to help us desire to put God’s Kingdom first.
- Ask God to help us not love our possessions so much that it comes in the way of our love for God.