These last few weeks have forced all of us to adjust to new routines. Our old routines are out the proverbial window. All areas of our lives – work, school, church, and play – have been affected. We’ve learned new ways to communicate. How many of you knew what Zoom was a month ago? However, some things have not changed. God is on His Throne. Jesus is alive. And He has a purpose and plan for our lives.
There are two parts of the redemptive story of Christians – God’s part and our part. God’s part was started in creation, promised in Jesus, fulfilled through His Death and Resurrection, and continued through the work of the Church. Our part is to accept His gift of salvation, and as the Apostle Paul said, “press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 3:14). This “pressing on” implies an intentional pursuit that requires thoughtful planning.
What radio was to the spreading of the gospel in the 20th century, the internet is today. There are many great websites available that offer free resources for Christians to help grow in their faith. You can take free Bible classes and watch engaging videos that will broaden your understanding of God’s Word and His will for your life. Here are a few:
- Biblical Literacy – taught by our own Mark Lanier, there is a library of previous lessons taught with handouts to download.
- The Gospel Coalition – offers free classes on a variety of subjects from church history to New Testament.
- Southeastern Baptist Seminary – and other seminaries offer free classes for anyone to take.
- Biblicaltraining.org – is a ministry that offers over a 100 free courses ranging from Christian Ethics to learning Arabic.
- BibleProject.org – is a ministry that develops great teaching videos that adults and children can watch together.
For some of you, the last thing you want to do is spend more time on the computer. In our new reality of home quarantine, that is understandable. But don’t dismiss too quickly the usefulness of the internet to potentially grow your faith. Peruse the websites above and see what God does.