One of the most helpful books I have ever worked through that relates to Scripture Memory is called, “The Topical Memory System, LIFE ISSUES” by Nav Press. It’s a very practical system for hiding God’s word in your heart. The Life Issues collection includes 72 scripture verses dealing with 12 different topics commonly encountered in daily life. This book was instrumental in helping me realize the impact that scripture memory could have on my life.
The following are five of the most significant principles that you will experience as you memorize and meditate on His Word:
- You will have victory over temptation and sin! (Psalm 119: 9, 11)
- You will experience peace in your life. (Isaiah 26:3)
“The mind that is controlled by the spirit gives life and peace.” (Romans 8:6)
- Your mind will continually be transformed and renewed. (Romans 12: 1, 2)
- You will be able to discern the truth and make wise choices.
“Jesus said to the Jews who had believed in Him, “If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples and then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free.” (John 8:31-32)
“The word of God will guide you when you walk, protect you when you sleep and speak to you when you awake.” (Proverbs 6:22)
- You will be prosperous and successful. (Psalm 1:1-3)
“Blessed is the man who doesn’t walk in the counsel of the wicked, or stand in the way of sinners, or sit in the seat of mockers, but his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a fruitful tree planted by the water, whatever he does prospers.”
Joshua 1:8 will give you a sound foundation for memorizing God’s word!
* The objective of scripture memory is Meditation
* The objective of meditation is Obedience
* The objective of obedience is a Spirit Filled Life
You may be asking…How do I get started on memorizing God’s Word? Well, start with the shortest verse in the Bible, “Jesus wept.” (John 11:35)
Associate Pastor of Adult Ministry & Evangelism