Jesus Resisted Temptation (1st-5th Grade)
Today in KidLife Groups, 1st-5th Graders learn that God can help us resist temptation just as Jesus did. When the devil tempts us, we can recall Scripture, and just like Jesus, we can rely on God’s Word to rebuke the enemy.
Review the Bible story. Jesus resisted temptation by quoting Scripture relevant to the temptation. Ask your child about temptations he faces. Help him find and learn Scriptures relating to specific temptations.
Andrew Brought His Brother to Jesus (Preschool)
Today in KidLife Groups, Preschoolers learn that people can learn about who Jesus is and what He did.
Sit with your child or family and turn pages in the Bible through the New Testament. Tell your child that the New Testament is the part of the Bible that tells what Jesus said and did when He was here on earth. Help your child open the Bible to John 1 and find Jesus’ name in the Bible text. Tell your child that he can learn about Jesus at home and at church. He can learn who Jesus is and what Jesus did.
Use these simple steps to guide your family during today’s Life Group time.
Step 1: Print Activity Pages
Print one for each child. This is a great tool to have as you go through the videos. Each download includes the Activity Page for your child and a One Conversation page for you to use with the Bible reference and story.
Step 2: Watch Bible Story Video
Before you press play, sit together and pray. Thank God for this special day to worship and learn about Him. Then, watch the Bible story video together.
3. Read & Discuss The Bible Story Together
Use the Activity Page and One Conversation Page you printed to read and discuss the Bible Story together. Select an activity and talk about how it goes along with the story.
One’s & Two’s
Gather: Kids Activity Page, paper, crayons, stickers.
- Trace your child’s feet. Talk about the Bible story as you trace. Mention that John pointed to Jesus as He walked by.
- Read aloud as you print across your child’s paper: “God helps me learn about Jesus.”
- Offer crayons and stickers and have your child decorate his/her footprints paper.
- Go over the Weekly Verse together, “Grow in what you know about Jesus. 2 Peter 3:18.”
Three’s – PreK
Gather: Kids Activity Page, hot glue gun, index cards, marker, copy paper (or other thin paper), large crayons.
- Print the letters J, E, S, U, S on index cards, one letter per card. Outline the letters with hot glue and allow to dry. You may also create index cards with hot glue that have simple shapes on them.
- Complete Activity Page with your child. Go over the Weekly Verse together (2 Peter 3:18).
- Peel the wrappers off of a few crayons. Demonstrate how to place a sheet of copy paper over one of the cards and rub the crayon on the paper to reveal the letter or shape.
- Lead your child to spell JESUS by rubbing each letter only the paper. They can also make rubbings of the shapes you made.
- Say that we can learn about who Jesus is and what He did. Discuss the Bible story with your child while he/she works.
Invitation to Church
Gather: Kids Activity Page, construction paper, markers, and stickers.
- Go over the Kids Activity Page with your child. Go over the Bible story and remind your child that Andrew wanted to tell his brother about Jesus.
- Ask your child to use the art supplies to make a card inviting a friend to church. Encourage him/her to write a message on the card such as God loves you or Come learn about Jesus with me.
- Your child can use the markers and stickers to decorate the paper and then fold the paper in half to make a card.
- Have your child think about whom he/she want to address the card to and encourage him/her to give the card to that person this week.
- Remind your child that people can learn about who Jesus is and what He did. Mention that God wants people to follow Jesus’ example.
- Explain to your child the “Gospels” of the New Testament are Matthew, Mark, Luke, & John. They represent Jesus’ ministry and teaching.
- Let your child know that Jesus came to Earth to set the example of how we should act.
- Have them look up and read:
Matthew 4:1-11 Jesus resisted temptation.
Mark 14: 32-40 Jesus prayed in a garden.
Luke 19:1-10 Jesus loved Zacchaeus.
Mark 10:13-16 Jesus blessed the children.
Jump or Squat
- Tell your child that you will name an activity. If it is good- they should jump up. If it is NOT good- they should squat down.
- Activities: Talking to a friend during church; talking to a friend at recess.
- Eating ice cream for your birthday; eating ice cream right before dinner is ready.
- Buying a toy with your own money, using money that is NOT yours to pay for a toy without permission.
- Riding in a car without seat belt; riding in a car with a seat belt.
- Skating into the street without looking for cars; skating outside and watching out for others.
- Remind your child that sometimes people are tempted to do things they know they should not do. Jesus gave us examples on what to do when we are tempted.
Bible Verse Tree
- Have your child draw a picture of a tree trunk on a sheet of paper.
- Have them draw 6 leaves on that tree trunk.
- On 3 leaves they should write Proverbs 15:1; Luke 6:35; Philippians 2:14
- On the remaining 3 leaves, they should write what the verse is telling them to remember.
- Remind your child that God helps us resist temptation just a Jesus did.
4. Missions Emphasis
- Show the “Dove Boys Share Norway” video, or tell the missions story.
- Recall William Dove’s story about talking with a friend about David and Goliath.
- Invite kids to share their own stories about times when they talked with their friends about Jesus.
- Pray that the missionaries serving in Norway will have many opportunities to tell friends about Jesus.
- Ask God to keep us strong and resist temptation.
- Thank God for his forgiveness.
- Thank God for sending Jesus to set the ultimate example on how to live.